Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Living a waking dream....Eternal Out of body Me

http://www.transparentcorp.com/community/forum/index.php?showtopic=2190

This isn't meant as an unhappy post, just one that makes me feel less alone.

I have felt this way since i was 7 years old or younger.  I can still remember walking to school feeling like i was walking in a dream.  I got sent to the principal a lot because i was never able to pay attention.  I would stay up all night and watch the sun rise, I never felt like i was truly "here"  I have always been told i need to wake up and ground myself.

Now i understand a little better why i have always felt this way.  I can attribute a good deal of this symptom to being born and raised into a cult, and then my dad getting sick and my getting molested and losing our house and changing schools all in one year, after that, i felt like i was living in a dream and it never stopped being that way.

I have always described feeling like i am a malfunctioning piece of a great piece of machinery...kind of like i really was dreaming and wasn't meant to be here.

Now i understand a little better why.

Be Well

D

2 comments:

  1. I have done this, depersonalisation, myself before. I was told I did this when I was 21 and I do still catch myself depersonalising and often lose time over it. I will be in a daydream kind of world and am able to say yes and no when I need to and work when I need to but I'm not there, I am far away. I think I understand what you mean by this. It's certainly not easy to cope with. I am lucky that I don't do it too often anymore, only when I am really unwell and am trying to hold it together. Then I do it constantly until I am alone and the world crumbles. Be gentle with yourself!
    *hugs*
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was diagnosed with depersonalization disorder in my teens. Totally switched off at times, had difficulty perceiving the world as Real, things felt and looked Bigger than they actually were, totally confusing and left me feeling like I was going crazy. Self-injured fairly badly, then, because it was the only way I knew to break myself out of it. Still have periods of it now, but nowhere near as bad.

    I used to feel like I was watching myself, all the time. Totally dissociated from my body.

    Anyway - yes. It is good to know I'm not alone. Never met another person with the problem, though my friendly Wikipedia says its the third (?!) most common psychological problem. Perhaps it is just the SEVERITY that is rare... *shruggle*

    ReplyDelete